Looking to start a business in the Bay Area? Our San Francisco accelerator for students and recent alumni provides all the resources of the Penn/Wharton community on the West Coast.
Wharton’s Bay Area Accelerator
For some startups, San Francisco is the only place to be — and that’s why Penn Wharton Entrepreneurship created a Venture Initiative Program specifically for students and recent alumni in the Bay Area.
VIP-SF is an accelerator open to Penn students and alumni entrepreneurs who are developing their own ventures. This four-month program runs twice a year, in the fall and in the spring. The team must be based in the San Francisco/Bay Area during their time in VIP-SF.
Applications for the Winter/Spring 2018 cycle are currently closed. Applications for the fall cycle will open in the summer.
What You Can Do With VIP-SF
- Work with a mentor who will help you realize your full potential.
- Access co-working space at Wharton San Francisco.
- Receive expert advice on how to navigate your startup’s unique challenges and opportunities with one-on-one advising.
- Gain actionable insights from cutting-edge Wharton research and experts who have scaled successfully through workshops and group advising.
- Connect with a network of entrepreneurial alumni who will inspire and motivate you.
- Get feedback during biweekly group advising sessions with advisors, including VCs, angel investors, attorneys, and successful entrepreneurs.
- Apply for awards, seed funding and the opportunity to apply for funding through Wharton Alumni Angels of Silicon Valley.
What We’re Looking For
The application process for VIP-SF is highly competitive. To ensure you’re ready, we highly recommend that applicants have already taken academic coursework such as MGMT 231/MGMT 806: Venture Implementation or the Wharton Entrepreneurship Specialization on Coursera. Here’s what we want to see on an application:
- Knowledge of business fundamentals
- Validated product-market fit
- Measurable traction (i.e. revenue)
- Necessary expertise on the team